Around The Premier League Grounds - 09/1/10-11/1/10

Last updated : 12 January 2010 By Dan Buxton

As England's coldest winter since 1981 continues, just three Premier League matches survived the freeze at the weekend, with Stoke's game at the managerless Burnley, amongst six others, postponed. The fixtures that did go ahead provided no shortage of action though.
On Saturday, Arsenal had to settle for a 2-2 draw at home to mid-table Everton, and can count themselves lucky to have earned so much as a point after Tomas Rosicky scored a deflected last minute equaliser. Leon Osman had put Everton ahead early on, but Denilson hit back for the hosts. Stephen Pienaar's fine run and lofted finish then looked to have given the Toffees a memorable win ten minutes from time, before Denilson struck to ensure the spoils were shared.
The only other member of the "big four" to play, Manchester United, were also held to a draw, away at newly promoted Birmingham, who stretched their amazing unbeaten run to twelve matches after an intruiging game at St. Andrew's ended 1-1. The underwhelming Mancunians fell behind to a first-half Cameron Jerome strike, but earned the point in controversial fashion. Birmingham's Scott Dann diverted Patrice Evra's cross-shot into his own net, but the linesman flagged for offside. Referee Mark Clattenburg, spotting that the ball had hit a Birmingham player, promptly over-ruled the decision and awarded the goal, sparking anger from the home fans. the video replays, however, show that Clattenburg was absolutely correct, unlike his tax return.
Underwhelming Mancunians is hardly a phrase that can be used to describe the other Manchester club in action this weekend, Manchester City, who eased past Blackburn at Eastlands. In a lethal strike partnership born on the mean streets of Buenos Aries and Bulawayo, Argentinian striker Carlos Tevez netted a hat-trick, while Zimbabwean born Benjani recorded three assists, while Micah Richards was also on target and Morten Gamst Pedersen scored Blackburn's consolation in a convincing 4-1 victory for the Europe chasing hosts.